As many of the items on our site are hand crafted, there may be slight differences, markings and inclusions on all stones, metals and finishings – such as tool marks, uneven surfaces, slight colour variances and minor flaws. Please take this into consideration when purchasing from us; this is part of the joy of owning a lovingly hand made, unique and individual piece. Please ensure that you read the product description carefully, as we have endeavoured to describe each item as accurately as possible.
Please note that colours and finishes may vary slightly from the actual product shown due to differences in your computer monitor.
Ruby & Sky does not accept returns on general wear and tear, or misuse and poor handling of products. Please see our complete Returns and Exchanges
policy for further information.
If handled with love and care, the lifetime of your precious jewels can be prolonged. Please follow the below instructions when caring for your individual piece:
- Please avoid contact with perfumes, cosmetics, makeup, moisturiser, fake tan, sunscreen, hairspray or other chemical filled products as they can damage our precious metals/jewels. Put your jewellery on after applying any of the above; this helps to reduce exposure and contact.
- Avoid all contact with water. Please ensure all jewels are removed and stored in a safe, dry space before swimming, bathing or exercising. This includes household cleaning - as exposure to harsh chemicals, even without direct contact, will cause damage.
- Stones are very delicate, and can break, chip or come loose from the setting if dropped. Ruby and Sky is not liable for any damage caused by a dropped piece. Ensure your precious stone jewels are also kept out of direct sunlight, as this will cause them to fade.
- After each wear, it is recommended that you clean any metals and platings carefully, as the air and natural oils in your skin can cause damage and increase tarnishing over time. To restore shine, life, and lustre and to remove any tarnish, clean all metal components with a soft, non-abrasive jewellery or silver polishing cloth. If you are using a specific jewellery-cleaning product, always follow the instructions on the container – a spot test is recommended to prevent any damage. Ruby and Sky is not liable for any damage caused through incorrect cleaning.
- After wear, please ensure jewellery is stored in a safe, dry place that is preferably flat, out of direct light, free from moisture and away from any extreme heat. Most of our jewellery comes packaged in a soft suede pouch – it is highly recommended that each piece is stored safely inside after each wear. Please ensure each piece is stored separately, to prevent any scratching or rubbing from contact with other jewels.
A great blog post about caring for Sterling Silver can be found here:
with our particular favourite and inexpensive way of cleaning silver is the Baking Soda method found here:
Ruby and Sky uses a combination of gold filled, gold plated, silver plated, rhodium plated, bronze and 925 Sterling Silver.
Gold filled is made from solid gold and filled with a base metal. Gold filled wears like solid gold as its outer surface is solid gold and is the most hard wearing of all our pieces so with love and care it will last for many years.
Gold and silver plating is less durable and will slowly and gradually fade in colour over time and eventually tarnish. This process may take months and even years, depending on the thickness of the gold layer i.e. 14k, 18k or 24k being the thickest and therefore most durable. However, if you gently polish these pieces regularly and care for them as above, you can bring back their beautiful lustre.
Rhodium is the most expensive precious metal, a silver-white hard metal used to coat materials with a decorative and protective layer. Rhodium is a noble metal that imparts an extremely bright and hard wearing finish when applied as plating. When applied as a thin plate, it affords a durable finish of exceptional brightness. Rhodium finishes can greatly enhance the appearance and longevity of any metal to which they are applied. However, rhodium plating will not last for an eternity. The lifespan will vary and will depend upon a number of factors including the amount of wear the jewellery receives, the original thickness of the plating, individual body chemistry, the quality of the plating and the colour of the underlying gold. The plating on an item that is subjected to a lot of wear or friction, such as a ring, may only last 6-24 months, whereas a necklace, brooch or earrings which comes in less contact with skin or the elements, or is simply worn less, can retain its plating for ten or more years.
To ensure rhodium plated jewellery lasts as long as possible, keep it clean with a mixture of mild liquid shampoo and a little water. Never use any chemical cleaners, do not use polishing cloths intended for use on gold or silver jewellery and ensure pieces are not in regular contact with hard surfaces. Non-abrasive, lint-free, streak-free, micro-fibre cloths are ideal.
Bronze is an alloy that consists of a mixture of copper and tin, approximately 90% copper and 10% tin. It is also less expensive than precious metals like silver and gold and so is an affordable option for jewellery - but easily mistaken for gold!
925 Sterling Silver is the jewellery quality standard in most world markets. It is an alloy of 92.5% silver. The remaining 7.5% is usually copper. The other metal is added to the alloy to increase hardness so the metal will be more durable and to create the colour and lustre that is so prized by consumers. Sterling Silver is the silver colour we are most familiar with. It is very bright and shiny but it will tarnish. Tarnish can be delayed but it cannot be prevented and it is easy to clean - as above. Sterling Silver is harder than fine silver but it is still fairly soft compared to many metals. The most common quality stamps are .925 and Stg.
All precious metal jewellery purchased at Ruby & Sky will be offered free cleaning in store for the rest of it's life! Just bring in your precious piece, grab a coffee and we will clean it while you wait!